Welcome to Hackers Alliance!

Gift Card Vulnerability

• Archived

The forum is archived and used for testing. It is currently read-only to visitors.
    It has been upgraded from vBulletin 3.8.x to XenForo for security purposes and future-proofing. Proprietary code and modifications (such as code database and HA bot) are broken with XenForo and will stay only with vBulletin.

What do you think the chance of this working is?

• Yes, will definitely work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Im not sure, but most likely will work

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, wont work at all

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

ImHumbled

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 11, 2010
Intro
I ordered Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines for the xbox 360 a few days ago online at gamestop.com. I ordered it using only two $25 gift cards and the order went through. I saw a confirmation screen on the website of my order, and about 5 minutes later received an email also of confirmation that my order was placed. Not even 5 minutes later I checked the remaining balance on my gift cards and it said that the balance was still $25 on both cards.

After reading the above do you agree or disagree that the theory below might work?

Theory
I have bought items at the physical gamestop store before so I know that once you use up a gift card they say, "Do you want me to throw this gift card away?"
Well, im guessing that the purchases online do not update the gift card balance until XX:XX amount of time later. I know that it is not the gift card balance checker that is located on gamestop.com as it will only show the balance on the card, no server updates for the gamestop gift card archive remaining balance. So if my theory is correct then you can purchase something within the value that the gift card is set for, and once the purchase is made, immediately purchase another item that is within the gift card value. So, to those who dont understand:

I have a $200 gamestop gift card and buy a Playstation Portable. Once I receive the email confirmation that the order is placed, I go and buy a second PSP with the SAME GIFT CARD used the buy the first one.

Someone should try this, and if nobody I will try. The worst that can happen is one or both the orders get canceled. I also can imagine that the above might happen as well as the value of the card not refunded.

Jellyforme

Oct 11, 2010
It won't work. Once the order goes through and they send it, the money is gone. It would be dumb to take your money and not send you what you wanted. :p

Double_0_negative

Hackers Alliance Veteran
Administrator
Sep 18, 2010
im sure they have some kind of redundancy/checks in place against this. most likely the frojnt end is just cached, but the backed is still updated, but idk, its worth a shot to try it if you want

1UP

Nov 3, 2010
It works just like a credit card, it checks the balance and if there isn't enough funds it will auto declines. So once you make a purchase and it goes through the validation (which really takes seconds) the balance is updated, so no this wouldn't work

This site has been archived and is no longer accepting new content.

About us

• Hackers Alliance is a small community forum about gaming and console hacking. Join our humble community to share ideas, game cheats, mods, and be part of an amazing growing community!

Quick Navigation

User Menu